I am going to start this blog off by telling the story of meeting my beautiful friend Randi. About 8 or 9 years ago, I went to a Mom to Mom Cookie swap (Mom to Mom is a mom’s group I had joined to meet other women who stayed home with their kids). When I walked in the door, I didn’t know anyone. I went to the table to put my cookies down and turned around. There was Randi and Janel, two awesome women who not too long after became very good friends of mine. So we started the normal chit chat. How old are your kids? What does your husband do? Where did you go to school? I found out that Randi went to UMaine and was a cheerleader. I told her that my brother was a cheerleader at UMaine and as it turned out she cheered with him! So then she said “So would you ever consider doing Mrs.Maine, I think you’d be great!? I shot her a look of horror and chuckled and said “No, that is definitely not me! I have cellulite on my thighs; I can’t walk in high heels (I can barely walk in a straight line!)! But thank you so much for thinking about me that way!” As the years went on she would every so often say something referring to it Mrs. Maine and I would say “thank you” and on I’d go until the next time.
Fast forward to February 4, 2011, Miss Teen Maine, Alexis Mcilwain and her director Mackenzie Davis came to my auction and our picture was taken. It was posted to my Facebook page and Seth, my 12 year old, said “Mom, you should be Miss Maine ”. It was so adorable I had to share it! Well Randi posted “Mrs. Maine ! I still haven’t given up on you!” For some reason, it hit me like a ton of bricks…”Could I do it? Am I pretty enough? Do I have what it takes to make me a good competitor?” I decided to go to the pageant, which was a few weeks later and I didn’t tell anyone why but my husband, Dan. It was to see if I thought I could do it. To see for myself if I had the confidence it took to get up on the stage and do what those women were brave enough and strong enough to do. I was inspired, in more ways than one. I had to know more and I had to know within myself that I have what it takes to get myself ready to get on that stage. So for that next month and a half, I asked the questions I needed to ask. I got on the treadmill almost every day and started eating much healthier. I…felt…GREAT! So I talked to Dan about it more and with his support, I decided that I was going to go for it. Thank you to everyone who has had an encouraging word to say, it really does mean a lot to me as I begin this journey. I am looking forward to the many positive things that will come from me competing; I am very excited to be Mrs. Gorham!
First off, welcome to the world of blogging! I will definitely follow you on your journey. I am sure you will do great!
ReplyDeleteThanks Chad! You inspired me to blog! ;)
ReplyDeleteYou Go Girl!! I am VERY proud of you and will follow you all the way :)
ReplyDeleteYou are good enough..You are smart enough..and gosh darn it people like you. You go Chickie..you rock! Very proud of you, my friend.
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to following you as you move along Destiny. You're the best and I'm sure you'll do great.
ReplyDeleteWow Destiny, this is sooo exciting!!! Hold on and enjoy the ride!!! You are a wonderful candidate!!! I can't wait to follow along on your journey ;)
ReplyDeleteI am a follower pretty lady... Good luck on this wonderful journey. This family is rooting for you!!! ;0) Lots of Love... Michelle Meagher and family
ReplyDeleteDestiny I am very excited for you!! I just started "Blogging" too for my store so it is exciting to see someone I know starting this blog thing too!! Good luck I know you will do great!!!! I will be routing for you from NY!!
ReplyDelete