My sorority sisters and I get together at least a couple times a year. We used to get together at our family camp, however, since Facebook came into existence there are so many of us in touch, we have had to switch the venue. It's amazing! 30 women getting together and talking about old times, and even new times. Older sisters to younger sisters, no matter...we have a common bond. Kappa Alpha Kappa, a service sorority at the University of Maine at Machias. This is where I first truly developed my passion for service and volunteering. Blood drives, Easter Parties, Haunted Forest's and raising money for U.N.I.C.E.F or Christmas for Kids...we also did many things on campus like Campus Clean Ups, serving at various functions and Special Olympics.
It was so fun to think back on these experiences I had back then and what they meant to me. The reason these memories are rushing back to me is because these sisters that I speak of are doing a pretty neat thing for me. They all got together and they are buying ad pages for me to help show my service work that I do now. For me to think back to where it all began was a nice walk down memory lane. Not only was it "service work" but it was time with my good friends. We always made it fun and we always looked forward to it, whatever "it" was. It was a time when we were working together as a team, doing something that was going to help someone else. It felt great.
As I continue with my service work today, I remember fondly those times I had with them. I try to encourage everyone to do some kind of service- whether its a small commitment or a big one, you will feel fulfilled in ways you can't imagine.
Thank you to my sisters, my friends for your support, it means more to me than you may ever know. I am so lucky to have such a wonderful group of giving women in my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment